To drive someone bananas means to drive one crazy or to make someone feel stressed. You can also go bananas if you get angry; or go mad.
(to) grind one’s gears (AmE), get someone’s goat, drive crazy, drive nuts, drive round the bend, give a hard time, harass, tease, irritate, bother, distress, plague, persecute, annoy, trouble, hound, agonize, vex, crucify, torture, harry, harrow, excruciate, nag, punish, bait, break, wring, afflict, worry, pester, provoke, rack, bedevil, try, devil, smite.
All that noise was driving him bananas!
Tom’s acting childish today, it’s driving me bananas.
sb = somebody
(to) drive sb bananas in Catalan
In Catalan it is Treure de polleguera (literally, take out of the hinge).
(to) drive sb bananas in French
In French, as in Catalan, it is Faire sortir quelqu’un de ses gonds (literally, pull someone out of their hinges).
(to) drive sb bananas in German
In German you say jdn. wahnsinnig machen (literally, to drive crazy)
(to) drive sb bananas in Spanish
In Spanish it is Sacar de quicio (meaning to aggravate or annoy).
- (to) sleep like a log
- Scottish proverbs
- That’s a different kettle of fish
- Scottish Gaelic ⇆ Catalan Simple Greetings
- Most important Catalan Sayings and Proverbs translated to English
- The ‘best’ British insults
- Common British English expressions translated to Catalan II
- Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle!
- Catalan flags explained
- Common British English expressions translated to Catalan